Wednesday, 24 February 2016

That sparkly dress

Woahhhh!!!! Who knew weddings were so stressful? Imagine the months of anticipation until the big day and then before you know it, its all over. One of my close friends got married over the half term break and it was such a beautiful wedding, but damn the amount of planning that's behind the wedding day I had no idea about! I don't think I could handle all that stress, and to be honest I'm more comfortable with a small intimate wedding- just immediate family and friends, no hassle. Wait, why am I talking about my own non-existent wedding plans? Urgh, I'm going off topic as usual.
Anyway, so yeah about the outfit I wore, I hadn't planned what I was going to wear until about a week before the wedding (trust me I leave EVERYTHING to the last minute). I had a dress I had bought a while ago but wanted to oomph it up a little. So, I found an old burlesque costume from a costume shop and chopped the net skirt off to create a mermaid tail-like effect and used velvet for the sleeves. My tailor was literally my saviour because not only did she make my dress EXACTLY how I wanted, but she somehow managed to do all in 1 day!!! It's ever so easy to take a simple mini or midi dress and transform it into an evening or occasion dress. My favourite shops that sell beaded and embellished dresses are Miss Selfridge and Shop style and if you're looking for net try costume shops or any vintage store. So in total this dress cost me £42.50 including labour costs which is way cheaper than buying a dress of similar style readymade off the high-street.
Hope this post gives you inspiration for any future events you have coming up like prom or a graduation ball.








Dress: Miss Selfridge (similar styles here) £20
Net skirt: From costume shop £4.99
Velvet sleeve material: From any fabric store £1.50
Labour costs: £16 since the pieces were all hand stitched
Habeebah xxx

P.s My stunning make-up was done by my sister's talented friend, only 16 years old!!

2 comments: